3dsMax 101 review

4 replies [Last post]
Zeus's picture

My first post here so forgive me if its in the wrong place. I've only been using max on and off for a little over a year. My first introduction to it was through an animation class I took at the local Jr. College. I've been hooked ever since. I stumbled across this site while going through some tutorials and must say I'm glad that I did! My first purchase was Next-Gen Texturing and then 3ds Max 101. For a noob like me the DVD is just fantastic. I learned more in a few hours with it then I did while in the classroom...Any other "noobs" out there who are wondering if they should buy it...just do it! It's just that good! You won't be disapointed. Well worth the price and it will cut down on your internet tutorial surfing immensley. Eye-wink Everything is covered and at a pace that is condusive to learning and retaining. Eric Maslowski is truly a master! Thanks so much and keep 'em coming! I do have one technical question that maybe someone could help me with. One of the exercise on the DVD is building/texturing a news box. Had no problems with it, turned out kind of nice. After putting an AO on the texture, the texture in my viewport went from clear and distinguishable to kind of stretched and blurry. It still renders fine, but the view port texture looks weird. It seems to happen only after I add an AO. I tried the same technique on another test object (textured then added AO)...it did the same thing.

Here is a link to the pics:
atomicagemodels.com/newsbox.jpg
atomicagemodels.com/newsbox_render.jpg
atomicagemodels.com/block.jpg
atomicagemodels.com/block_render.jpg

Any help or point in the right direction would be appreciated.

My best

Billabong's picture

make sure that you have the highest modifier selected in your viewport on your object.

Lets say you have a uvw map or an unwrap modifier on an object. if you have the object selected and not the map it will look the way you have shown or you can make sure to have show end result ticked right below your modifier stack.

Either one fo those tricks should work

-B

Zeus's picture

Thanks for the quick reply B. I tried both of those methods but they dont seem to work. I created a simple box, no modifiers, added a texture, looks good here...
atomicagemodels.com/square_2.jpg

Then an Ambient Reflective Occlusion to the texture map and this is what I get every time...
atomicagemodels.com/square.jpg

I'm wondering if maybe its a video card driver issue. I have had a similar problem before when I updated my drivers. After I did that I could not display any textures in the viewport although they rendered fine. I finally had to roll back the drivers to get everything to display again. Or could it be that I need to apply a uv map after the AO and adjust it? Would that be the proper way to fix it? Any other suggestions? Thanks for your time.

ericmaslowski's picture

Thanks, Mike! I'm really happy to hear that you found it useful. There's always some apprehension when releasing something like this whether you actually created something useful. You never truly know until people start talking about it. So, thanks again and nice job on the newsbox! Smiling

As for your question, a few things come to mind but I think it's related to using the DirectX shader in the viewport. Is your "display in viewport" set to "show hardware map in viewport" (the pink checker box).

[ATTACH]405[/ATTACH]

If so, then switch over to the blue checker box (just click and hold on the icon shown above and choose the blue one). This is an error in how the DX viewport shaders in Max interpret the AO map. It doesn't know what to really do about it so you get that circle. Switching to the blue checker box uses a better defined path. Max 2010 handles these extra maps like AO better.

Smiling

fivetide's picture

Sorry wrong place Sad