UE4: Work In Progress Projects - 2014

18 replies [Last post]
JBaldwin's picture

Welcome to the 2014 Work In Progress thread for the Unreal Engine 4!
This thread is a depot for anything and everything Unreal 4.

To get a subscription and start using this awesome Engine, go here. 
The monthly fee is extremely low: $19 USD and it is well worth every penny!

Can't wait to see what everyone is working on! This engine has a ton to offer and through the trial runs, I have been blown away by the upgrades from the previous UE3.

-Jeremy-

reedweinstock's picture

So it wont be free like UDK or is that just for developers?

Aspiring game asset artist

www.reedweinstock.com

Forum Spotlight:

RPG-7, Custom .308 Rifle

deadmansgame's picture

Available to everyone. Just with the $19 subscription fee and 5% royalties for any revenue a game brings in. Read their FAQs section for more details.

Source code, oh the source code.

JBaldwin's picture

Yea, the subscription is a bit of a surprise. I am not sure but I think after you subscribe for a month and download the engine, you can cancel your subscription but still have the engine? I am going off what someone else said on another forum. However, I personally recommend the subscription. It is good because you get a lot of great stuff with it. 
I am really going to have to get use to the material editor though. Everything is reversed Sticking out tongue
-Jeremy- 

deadmansgame's picture

For the $19 a month you get everything a AAA developer would, including source code. You can cancel any time you like, but you no longer get updates. You do get to keep what you have already downloaded previously, but still subject to the EULA. They also do state what you do and do not have to pay royalties on.

The only thing you do not get would be source code for console. That is due to NDAs Sony and Microsoft has with Epic. You must obtain another license to do that. PC and mobile development are fine still. 

https://www.unrealengine.com/faq

JBaldwin's picture

There is. It is a spline tool. You can make roads through terrain, levels, etc.  :)

-Jeremy-

JBaldwin's picture

This isn't the actually quality. There are little demo maps that come with the engine to show off features. Here is the miniature that shows how the spline tool is making a road through terrain.

-Jeremy-

splinetool.jpg
JBaldwin's picture

Trying to go through and learn all the technical aspects of lighting and post processing. Several of the tools are proving a bit difficult as the sliders only add value when moved. When they are suppose to add value if slid to the right and decrease in value if slid to the left. So if you mess up, gotto start all over. Despite those current bugs, it is awesome. 

Here is a simple test shot.

-Jeremy- 

lighting01.jpg
deadmansgame's picture

Still looks good.

reedweinstock's picture

Does it come with the Infiltrator or Elemental demo assets?

Aspiring game asset artist

www.reedweinstock.com

Forum Spotlight:

RPG-7, Custom .308 Rifle

JBaldwin's picture

No it doesn't. At least (Not atm)

-Jeremy-

njackson4190's picture

I am working on moving my current scene to UE4 and I am running in to an issue with my textures looking very washed out. I believe it has something to do with linear to gamma space. So when I made my textures in the traditional method, would that have been in linear space? And when it comes into UE4 then it converts it to SRGB (Gamma space)? So how would I convert my old texture in PS to gamma space so that it appears correctly in UE4? Also, can anyone explain or send reference to the whole linear and gamma space thing? I am really confused about it. 

srgb_stuff.jpg
JBaldwin's picture

I know that gamma correction for textures is required. However I am a bit confused about your description?
Here is an Nvidia paper that will possibly help in understanding some important texture rules:
Article

-Jeremy-

njackson4190's picture

I think I am over-complicating things. I guess my main concern is, do artists have to convert their textures back to linear space before importing into UDK or is this something that is already done automatically? When I uncheck sRGB in UE4, then it is essentially taking that texture to linear space, and when I turn on sRGB then it is applying gamma to the texture. Am I understanding that right? 

JBaldwin's picture

Normally, sRGB should not be checked. There are situations with color data where sRGB is needed, but the default settings for color data should be ok. Just make sure to level your textures before import (Proper Histogram/Curves). 
Here is some more info about sRGB 

-Jeremy-

njackson4190's picture

Working on porting my mars temple over to UE4. Still have some populating to do but most the assets and materials are in. I also did some texture tweaking and made roughness maps for all my props. 

mars_temple_wip_shot.jpg
JBaldwin's picture

Looking sweet! Can't wait to see the progression of the shaders Smiling

-Jeremy-

Blastradius's picture

Experimenting with UE4 and trying to get the lighting right on this temple. Having a hard time trying to fix the lighting in editor so I created a paintover on the right side and wanted some critiques on it. All critique welcome and the more the better! The pic on the bottom is a unlit version of my environment with a histogram.

temple.jpg temple_flat.jpg
JBaldwin's picture

@Blastradius - It would be pretty difficult to critique not knowing your settings and light types. Honestly though it seems you are simply lacking the proper global illumination and post process values. 

-Jeremy-