Head Sculpting - nerf3601 Lizardy guy :: Final

39 replies [Last post]
nerf3601's picture

well its oficially 11 pm here but the contest reads as closed, I wasnt around to post it but I figure I might as well for anyone who wanted to see where this post went

any advice or contrustive crit's are not only welcome but encouraged Eye-wink

I only recently started geting into 3d art and  zbrush and see that my fellow artists are very skilled and am hoping to learn so much from you guys Laughing out loud

nerf3601's picture

mini-up progress so far ..

2face-2.jpg

nerf3601's picture

a littel bit more detail on this one since I cant sleep ..

2face3.jpg

doses's picture

nice start, it´s can be interesting

maikeelassi's picture

cool concept, dude!

Suzume's picture

Great concept. I had a similar idea for this contest first (2 in 1) but dropped it in favor of my current one. Go go, nerf3601 Smiling

schiefer's picture

nice concept nerf, somehow reminds me of deadspace Eye-wink

nerf3601's picture

its really difficult for me to do this sculpt, the stretched flesh is the most dificult. I dont know how to really get it done. I just keep goin at it with the clay tubes brush hoping it comes out half as good as I want it too

ferg's picture

Cool idea, but yeah man I can see why that would be tough... that's a lot of stretched flesh to cover.  Maybe easier if you pulled it in a bit, somethin like this?

nerfcrit.jpg
nerf3601's picture

Maybe I will pull the heads a little closer to make it easier but prolly not that close. I do want it to feal really twisted and inhuman and the 2 human heads are making sort of a new more larger monsterous head

thanks for the crit though dude

In retro spect I think I should have played around with the Zsketch feature or maybe not.. I dunno I gotta lwearn alot more about how to better utilize the specific parts of zbrush

nerf3601's picture

well I brought the 2 heds as little closer and some superminor details put in while suffering insomnia ;)  let me know what oyu guys think

2fdeed.jpg 2fsed.jpg

Suzume's picture

Got some suggestions and comments for you in the picture below - you could also try to improve on the muscle flow a bit by referring to actual anatomy (ok, might be hard to get pictures of siamese twins' anatomy). Apart from those you might consider using another material that gives more contrast. Right now the shadows tend to wash out. Makes the features hard to read.

eat3d_nerf3601_comments.jpg

nerf3601's picture

thanks suz.. trust me if I could do that I would have but trying to do it all in Zbrush is really really hard for me.. Im still a newb to this whole 3d scene. it pisses me off that I can draw those details but not model them.

all I really used to pull out that stretched flesh was the clay tubes brush, if you have any idea how to get that look other than clay tubes I would soooo love you for it Eye-wink

btw I tend to bite off more than I can chew so to speak, its the only way I can learn and hopefully learn FAST Laughing out loud

playing with color .. I wanted all the red fleshy undercrap to be shiny but z brush cant blend between matcaps Sad

2fud2.jpg

nerf3601's picture

ok well heres a comparison of the way I did it and another way I was thinking I could have done it ...

2ftest.jpg 2ftest2.jpg

Rene.O's picture

Wow nice concept !

Thanks for your comments

nerf3601's picture

the one on the left was made from the demo head and some zspheres, I know not to enter that one its just a kinda proof of concept. should I go in that direction or what? This head really has me stumped Sad

Suzume's picture

First feeling that struck me: disgust.
Second feeling: curiosity.
Then again: disgust.
It's like a car accident. You cannot watch it but somehow you do.
I guess that makes your concept head a little more convincing to me then the one you've sculpted from scratch.

As to how to achieve the multi layered effect I had an idea. You could try the zsketch feature to draw the stretched flesh on top of the base mesh. With a little tweaking you even might get them to have some spacing from each other.

nerf3601's picture

dang I feal like the oldest noob of all time Sticking out tongue

but yeeah Im trying to figure thsat out suz, its just the level of complication is way up thier .. pretty much beyond me but I took on the challenge so I just gotta stick it out and try to make it work ... though Im not even sure if I can vall my bat thingy done yet Sad

schiefer's picture

hey nerf i like the second concept even better. Just keep going and it will get better and better im sure Eye-wink

nerf3601's picture

Thanks for all the input everyone but I really think Ima have to put a pause on this. I have no clue how to do what I envisioned Sad so Im thinking of a new concept ... this time I actually frew it out Sticking out tongue so here it is.

TRIBAL DUDE!  Laughing out loud

tribaldude_concept.jpg

nerf3601's picture

so you think I should go for it??? ?

Originally I thought up a tribal goblin but erm we already have a goblin king and a goblin headbanger type already in the comp Sticking out tongue but uh I dunno . . . should I go;

human

goblin

orc

troll

bat thingy Sticking out tongue

tribal dude?  and suggestions would be frankly be . . AWESOME Sticking out tongue

arundelain's picture

I like the heads version as opposed to the zombie version. Both are terrific however. Very unique concept.

grungenie's picture

hey nerf, if you think you have hit a plateau on the Betrayer, put it on hold for a while...... it may not be shaping up the way you might have envisioned at the outset but that's a problem with the first impressions that they are fugitive no matter how great they may be..... so let it be for a while..... it is a very interesting idea and is capable of creating a profound character if you think of it as a personality...... the newer version is more from this world and has agony as the dominant expression whereas the starter version has fear and realisation as its dominant expression......... i feel its a very uniqe idea.....  so please go for something else that seems to give form to your crearive urge for the moment but do revisit this piece as it may really turn out to be an excellent work....... and...  all the best for the Tribal dude.......   

Laticis's picture

Hi nerf,

i like where the human head is going, you could work on two very different expressions to portray your original idea. A person that lies well, will have a face people can trust and believe, its the horrid mind underneath it all that must be revealed and exposed.

Good luck with your choices.

"Every man has his own destiny: the only imperative is to follow it,

to accept it, no matter where it leads him."

-Henry Miller

nerf3601's picture

yeah but I think with my current level of skill in 3-d Im not really sure I can conquer this concept. that and I had my "main computer" you know the beast we all have to do these kinda things crapped out and I JUST got done fixing it so that took alot of wind outa me so to speak.

anyhow Im not sure what Im going to do, gotta try and remotivate myself aggain Sticking out tongue

thanks for the adv. Lactics Eye-wink

Laticis's picture

not that long ago, one of my earlier computers gave me some grief...fails and repairs in 1 year = 6 monitors, two internal HD, two external HD, faulty ram replaced once, ram re-seated 3 times, and in the end a fail mother board which was probably the cause of most of its issues. They a great when they are working, a pain in the butt when there down.

well to say, after that, took out a loan and purchased a very cool custom made PC, will never buy off the shelf again.

All the best nerf3601 with whatever venture you tackle, wish you all the best for Xmas and the New Year Smiling

Keep at it, learn hard and play heaps.

Cheers Ady - Laticis

"Every man has his own destiny: the only imperative is to follow it,

to accept it, no matter where it leads him."

-Henry Miller

grungenie's picture

i want to ask you how you insert those cool smileys ....... i dont seem to find it .......will you please tell me..?

nerf3601's picture

well heres another fiddle around, was really inspired by the effort of grungenie in how he put a quick storybord and stuff together for his head and well this is what I came up with so far through his inspiration ..

thx man Laughing out loud

lizardypriest_01.jpg

nerf3601's picture

ok  I mocked up some jewlery / deco  let me know if its any good Sticking out tongue

plus I dont know wether or not to go the nose ring direction ...

lizardypriest_02.jpg

aamirhussain's picture

hmmmm awesome.yeh dude great work

nerf3601's picture

added some spikes and details

lizardyer.jpg

nerf3601's picture

ok how bout this tweek ,  Sticking out tongue

liz_3.jpg

nerf3601's picture

I just want to wish all you wonderfully gifted people  HAPPY NEW JEERS!!!!  Eye-wink

illusionist's picture

loving creature...nice

nerf3601's picture

liz_4.jpg

aamirhussain's picture

nice dude but complate this in time.

nerf3601's picture

Im sooo trying to finish it in time .. luckily I have off today .. but my inexperience it making it very time consuming!?!? :(  I havent even retoped him!

liz_5.jpg

schiefer's picture

great job on the lizard guy nerf, you really improved a lot, i totally missed that one Smiling

nerf3601's picture

Thanks alot shiefer! Im trying :-p  makes me regret not actually starting 3d 12 years aggo when I was first interested Sticking out tongue

but hey better late than never right? Eye-wink

nerf3601's picture

I decided to continue the lizzy .. heres a quick pic

and a link to the post.. I'm moving the proggress to WIP cause well thats where its suposed to go I think Sticking out tongue

heres the link :  http://eat3d.com/forum/work-progress/nerflizz

lizzy_body_gray_000.jpg