Its been a while, been very busy at work but have had a bit of extra time in the past week. So I proposed a side project to a fellow co-worker (Ali), in which we undertook the challenge of creating a maxscript that generates an ocean. We wanted a water surface that represented "Choppy waters". Thus, we chose to use the Gerstner Wave.
- Re-Create (Gerstner Wave Formula) using 3ds max standard tools (NOT EASY FOR ME)
- Create Geometry
- Create Shader
- Create Animation
- Map Development
- Displacement Creation
What we have accomplished so far:
- Ocean Plane - Generates new geometry procedural to maintain base polygon resolution
- Camera Based Tessellation - 3 levels of tessellation based upon camera position and FOV for large scale ocean scenes
- Strong base (Gerstner Formula) <--- Took me a while and a lot of testing "Still Work in Progress"
- Wind Speed
- Wave behavior
- Wave Height
- Wind Direction
- Fully functional and scalable ocean
HOPE YOU LIKE IT! This is the first time attempting something like this, so its been a challenge and a learning experience.
Btw - Sorry for the bad Video quality... "dang youtube" hehe.