UDK May Beta Released!
Epic have released the May update for UDK !
The update includes numerous bug fixes and new features, including Steam, Colour Grading and Scaleform GFX integration
Many notable additions and improvements are included with this month’s beta release:
- Scaleform GFX user interface solution now available!
- Steam is now the default system for handling online services.
- UDK now has full 64-fit editor support.
- Make more beautiful games with light shafts, exponential height fog, color grading and many other new technological advances.
- Save time and enjoy better performance with dozens of engine upgrades.
- Scaleform is now supported in UnrealEd and in-game!
- UI screens
- Dynamic interaction via UnrealScript or Kismet
- SWFs playing intdynamic render targets
- GFx version of UDK HUD, scoreboard and pause menu now fully functional
- Added example Adobe Flash Studifiles tUDKGame/Flash/example/...
- Controller input setup for GFx movies
- Basic scene using Scaleform CLIK components tcreate a UI
- Files: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Scaleform.html#UDK Example UI Files
- New GFx import path
- Textures used by SWF movies imported from original art
- Current import path is not final; subject tchange!
- More details: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Scaleform.html#Importing Pipeline
- Started implementing localization for GFx menus
- Additional documentation: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Scaleform.html
- Steam is now the default OnlineSubsystem for UDKGame Win32
- Steam handles all online services, including matchmaking, friends and server browsing
- Light Shafts (screenshot)
- Point lights are now supported
- Added Bloom Threshold and Bloom Tint properties
- Documentation: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ContentBlog.html#Light Shafts
- Exponential Height Fog (screenshot)
- New kind of global fog with density that decreases with height
- Never creates a hard line (unlike standard fog); supports one layer
- Can specify both "towards the light" and "away from the light" colors
- Rendering cost similar ttwlayers of constant density height fog
- Can now use different colors for the hemisphere facing the light and vice versa
- Color Grading Blending (screenshot)
- Can now blend between different color LUTs on different post process volumes!
- Documentation: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ColorGrading.html
- UDK now supports running 64-bit binaries for the editor
- Added ‘search by object’ type tKismet
- New mesh emitter camera facing option: "Apply Particle Rotation As Spin"
- Editor now shows up in system tray while starting up (and Alt+Tab works!)
- Can now capture content browser thumbnails from PIE viewports
- Added ability ttint editor icons similar tPoint Lights
- PNGs can now be imported as textures; RGB and RGBA formats are supported
- New Alt+F/G/H/J shortcuts tswitch between viewport types
- Greatly reduced the time it takes for volume visibility updates
Now being localized for
- INT - English
- FRA - French
- ITA - Italian
- DEU - German
- ESN - European Spanish
- ESM - Latin American Spanish
- RUS - Russian
- HUN - Hungarian
- CZE - Czech
- SL- Slovakian
- POL - Polish
- JPN - Japanese
- CHN - Simplified Chinese
- KOR - Korean
- Materials can nlonger be placed as decals unless the decal usage flag is set
- Fixed fog volumes being created when dropping materials sometimes
- Fixed support for non-standard languages
- Added support for rigid animation!
- FBX import settings are now remembered between sessions
- Importer will detect the type of asset timport by peeking at the FBX file
- New import option toverride naming of imported assets
- Textures can now be imported (with or without a material being created)
- The FBX import dialog has been improved
- Updated tthe latest FBX SDK (2011.2)
- Can now re-import skeletal meshes from FBX files
- Fixed smoothing group warning dialog spam on mesh import
Scaleform / UI
- Added (prototype) Scaleform-based front end and HUD tUDKGame
- Added GFx example content tExampleMap
- Scaleform implementations of HUD, Pause Menu, Scoreboard
- Moved UT-specific functionality from Weapon tUTWeapon
- Moved HUDIcons and HUDCoords properties from UDKVehicleBase tUTVehicle
- Cleaned up UDK default engine.inis down ttwo
- Moved DeathTime from UDKPawn tUTPawn
- Removed unused UDKPawn property LookYaw
- Removed PlayFiringSound() call from Weapon.FireAmmunition() (not implemented for any game except UTGame)
- Moved bideath material effect system from UDKPawn tUTPawn
- Enabled tone mapping and color grading support tUDK
- Enabled by default now sall scenes will receive contrast-enhancing tone mapping
- Changed input handling of controller demtnot recurse, therefore stopping the CLIK button from swallowing the GAMEPAD_A event
- Spawn player as spectator if ?causeevent=flythrough is passed on the commandline
- Set bFixedPlayerStart=true, bForceRespawn=true, and bQuickStat=true if ?causeevent=flythrough is passed on the commandline
- Fixed several issues related tversion numbers and matching Agents tJobs
- Change usage of "localhost" tusing the localhost IP address (127.0.0.1) instead
- Replacing old UE2 ueScriptProfiler
- Adds ability tdrill intactor and component tick
- Documentation: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/GameplayProfiler.html
- Draw bone/socket label on connector for actors attached tskeletal meshes
- Allow nodes tbe manually moved around
- Allow attachments tbe made in a more 'Kismet like' way
- Lots of runtime navmesh optimizations (mostly related tdynamic submesh builds)
- Huge speed gains
- Added copy and paste animations tthe AnimSet browser
- New options for calculating Bone Break
- Default: Both meshes have tinfluence tuse rigid
- AutDetect Rigid: Detects rigid when soft body misses the weight
- Alternate weight preferred: Second weight has more priority
- Added "Delete selected bone weighting" option
- "Toggle Mesh Weights" option
- Displayed if there is a valid set of weights for the current LOD
- Otherwise, the option is disabled
- Added inftdisplay chunks/sections when swapping vertex weights
Max Quality Mode
- Added MaxQualityMode option for taking high-resolution screenshots
- Increases texture res and shadow quality regardless of performance
Property Multi-Select and Cut-Paste
- Control-Click on properties tadd tselection
- Control-C, Control-V or right click tcopy and paste!
- Improved unbuilt lighting performance
- Changed bUseBooleanEnvironmentShadowing tdefault tTRUE for best performance
- Light environments will not receive dynamic shadows from the static environment unless bUseBooleanEnvironmentShadowing is changed back tfalse!
- Primitives with bShadowIndirectOnly=true nlonger cast dynamic shadows
- Added bForceNoPrecomputedLighting tWorldInf, allowing maps with fully dynamic lighting tskip time-consuming light building during a full rebuild
- Hid light environment settings that are rarely used, edge cases, or only set by gameplay code tsimplify the interface
- Scene Capture Optimizations
- 'Max View Distance Override': Set a culling distance for objects rendered intthe reflection
- 'Skip Update If Owner Occluded': Skip rendering tthe scene capture entirely if it's not going tbe visible
- 'Skip Rendering Depth Prepass': Controls whether a depth prepass is performed when rendering the scene capture
- Capture will be culled if last-bound time of the render target texture is more than a second ago
- Added map check warning for large shadow casters unless they have bAcceptsDynamicDominantLightShadows=false
- New mesh emitter camera facing option: bApplyParticleRotationAsSpin
- Changed bRenderAsVelocity tdefault tTRUE for RadialBlurComponents as they are much faster trender this way
- Mesh area lights now affect dynamic objects!
- UE3 creates a spotlight at the center of the emissive area which is applied tdynamic objects
- Added a new volume type: LightmassCharacterIndirectDetailVolume
- Lightmass generates higher density indirect character lighting samples inside these volumes
- Useful for sections where characters are not over static ground, e.g., elevators
- Exporting TGAs is temporarily broken and results in weird interlaced images
- Upcoming changes (as of the next UDK build)
- SM2 support will be removed
Additional notes, code samples and more are available at the Unreal Developer Network (UDN):
The new improvements look great and i cant wait test them out
You can grab the update from HERE
What is it?
UDK is Unreal Engine 3 – the complete professional development framework. All the tools you need tcreate great games, advanced visualizations and detailed 3D simulations. The best tools in the industry are in your hands.
Whis it for?
Anyone. Everyone. You. Unreal Engine 3 has been used by game developers, researchers, television studios, machinima directors, artists and students. If you have an idea that needs tbe brought tlife in a game engine, UDK is for you.
Only UDK has the power, flexibility and track record of Unreal Engine 3. These tools have been proven with countless releases and dozens of awards. There is nbetter way tmake awesome games than with UE3.