Hotfix 4 – 3ds Max 2011 & 3ds Max Design 2011 Released!
Autodesk have released hotfix 4 for 3dsmax 2011
The hotfix includes a bunch of new fixes including one that corrects the tangent space issue reported by our friends over at Polycount
While I was out of the office last week the team was busy cranking away at releasing
another Hotfix patch for the 2011 release. This makes for number 4 for the
year so far and our goal is to continue being as responsive as possible to critical
HF4 includes the following new fixes and all previously released fixes
in the Service Pack 1 and subsequent Hotfix releases. and for the first
time we released all supported languages simultaneously!
Fixes include the following:-
Autodesk® 3ds Max® CAT
- When enabling the Transform Type-In checkbox in the Load Limb Pose dialog and
clicking the Reset Transforms button a MAXScript error occurred. This has been
- FBX files from Autodesk® Revit® with RPC™ content loaded as empty
scenes; all of the content now loads correctly.
- An empty scene was created when loading RPC assets from Autodesk® Revit®
through FBX. An empty scene is no longer loaded.
- When using Autodesk Revit 2011, FBX texture maps were using GUID labels for
naming texture maps; texture maps now use their appropriate file names.
- A program error occurred if the Autodesk Materials were uninstalled and Autosave
or Save was used. The error no longer occurs and the files are saved
- Autodesk Materials presets failed to load correctly on operating systems that
used commas to define decimals; these presets now load correctly in this
- When loading a Biped BIP file, Xtra bones would not scale properly. The Xtra
bones now scale properly.
- Reloading FBX files from FileLink no longer results in layer loss.
Graphite Modeling Tools
- While working with hidden objects, the Viewport Canvas tool no longer causes a
- The Download Vegetation link in the Help menu now loads the proper page.
- When importing IES lights the orientation was rotated. This no longer
- Bitmap Proxies: The Alpha channel now loads properly when opening files.
- Satellite Rendering (DBR): The issue with the satellite rendering license which
was caused by the previous Hot Fix has been resolved.
- When using mental ray proxies and setting mental ray to use BSP2 when rendering
to a sequence, some of the memory was not released . This has been fixed.
- When setting mental ray to use BSP2 in 64-bit versions of 3ds Max, speckled
artifacts could appear when rendering; these artifacts no longer occur.
- Face-Angle Weighting
- The scanline renderer computes vertex normals on the fly by weighting the average
of all the face normals of faces that share each vertex. This process of computing
the weight from the sharing face angles is called “face angle-weighted
normals.” 3ds Max 2011 Hot Fix 4 now uses this algorithm in the DirectX
material and MetaSL shaders. Their output, when rendered in DirectX viewports, now
corresponds more closely with output created by the scanline renderer.
To override the display of vertex normals in the viewports, third-party plug-in
developers can write their own shaders. This is illustrated in the sample:
For more information on this change, see the 3ds Max SDK blog:
Qualified Normal Mapping
- Qualified Normal Mapping mode is a new option in the INI file. You can set it to
customize how normal mapping is performed on the DirectX material and MetaSL shaders
in DirectX viewports. When this mode is off (the default), the normal-mapping
mechanism aligns with how Maya performs normal mapping, which causes Maya-developed
assets to display more consistently in 3ds Max DirectX viewports (but not in the
scanline renderer). Turning on Qualified Normal Mapping mode causes orthogonalization
to be applied to tangent basis vectors in order to better align with the scanline
If a legacy shader is working well then this mode should be left turned off.
Enabling qualified normal mapping is done by adding the following lines to
To disable qualified normal mapping:
- In 3ds Max Design 2011, when applying any modifier after applying the Optimize
modifier, the modifier display was not correct and 3ds Max Design 2011 would stop
working. Modifiers now work correctly when applied after the Optimize modifier.
- The program error on start-up when using sixteen or more CPU cores has been
fixed; also, all cores are now used.
Quicksilver Hardware Renderer
- The file did not update with Quicksilver when loading a new XSML file. It now
- Loading XMSL files now respects file parameter values.
- Mesh corruption no longer causes corruption when rendering more than 100
- Some geometry was reversed and would render black because cullmode was not
restored properly after rendering double-sided materials. This issue is now
Slate Material Editor
- Some text fields would not allow text input after applying 3ds Max Service Pack
1. This has been corrected.
- When minimizing the Slate Material Editor, the keyboard kept selection focus with
the result that the Delete key wouldn't’t work; this has been corrected.
The default Quad Menu for Snaps is incorrect but you can fix it by doing the
1. In 3ds Max / 3ds Max Design go to
Customize > Customize User Interface.
2. On the Quads tab select Snap.
3. Customize UI Menu Remove all of the
current Snap Commands from the Quad Menu display (on the right side of the dialog) by
right-clicking each entry and selecting Delete Menu Item. Continue until all current
entries are removed.
4. Delete Snap Commands From the
Category Box select Snaps - Standard.
5. You now need to add the correct
Snap Commands to the Quad Menu display by dragging and dropping each item from the
Action List to the Quad Menu display. Add:
o Snap To Grid Points Toggle
o Snap To Pivot Toggle
o Snap To Vertex Toggle
o Snap To Midpoint Toggle
o Snap To Edge/Segment Toggle, and
o Snap To Face Toggle.
Hint: Add each entry
above the --End of Menu-- indicator.
6. Snap Commands Moved from Action
List Click Save... and confirm the changes to the MaxStartUI.mnu file.
- Gamma: Gamma now displays correctly in the viewport when Tone Mapping is
- Gamma: When using the DirectX display driver with Gamma and Exposure Control,
banding could result in the viewport. This issue is resolved.
- Gamma: Various refresh problems in wireframe mode have been resolved.
- Gamma: When locking and then unlocking the computer, Gamma would be disabled.
This no longer occurs.
- Gamma: Enabling Snap modes with Gamma turned on caused ghosting and other
viewport artifacts; this no longer occurs.
- When the viewport was maximized the Active viewport hot keys would not work. This
- SteeringWheels® & ViewCube®: These navigation tools would flicker.
This problem has been resolved.