Epic Release March UDK Update!
Epic have released the March update for UDK !
The update includes numerous bug fixes, new features and native support for the Autodesk .FBX format
Improved UDK Features and Tools
- Autodesk FBX format support (FBX version 2010.2)
- Static meshes, skeletal meshes and animations can now be imported from FBX files
- The FBX format is supported by many 3D modeling packages including 3ds Max, Maya, and MotionBuilder.
Download FBX plug-ins from Autodesk
Interactive Static Meshes
- Static meshes can now be configured so that all instance of that mesh placed in a level can become dynamic and react with physics when shot or pushed, giving the environment a more interactive feel.
The advantages of this implementation are:
- Consistent behavior
- All objects using that mesh will be interactive, instead of it depending on level designer set up.
- Transparent to meshing
- L.D.s don't have to do anything special, but they can prevent specific objects from being able to become dynamic when necessary.
- These meshes are lit like any other static meshes until they move so there is no visual impact to using this system.
- No additional performance or memory cost to these meshes except during the short period when a mesh is being physically simulated.
- This system is intended for use with small decorative meshes that don't have any gameplay implications.
- The interactivity is client-side and is not replicated.
New Attachment Editor
- For displaying and modifying object relationships
- Lets you view and edit the attachment graph for a selected set of actors
- Increases perceived resolution of textures w/o memory or performance impact
Property window favorites
- Simply mark a property as a favorite and it will always be displayed at the top of your property window.
- Combined with the search capability, this will greatly stream-line data access in the Unreal Editor.
- http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/PropertyWindows.html#Property Window Favorites
You can grab the update from HERE
What is it?
UDK is Unreal Engine 3 – the complete professional development framework. All the tools you need to create great games, advanced visualizations and detailed 3D simulations. The best tools in the industry are in your hands.
Who is it for?
Anyone. Everyone. You. Unreal Engine 3 has been used by game developers, researchers, television studios, machinima directors, artists and students. If you have an idea that needs to be brought to life in a game engine, UDK is for you.
Only UDK has the power, flexibility and track record of Unreal Engine 3. These tools have been proven with countless releases and dozens of awards. There is no better way to make awesome games than with UE3.