Epic Release March 2012 UDK Beta!
Epic have released the March 2012 update for UDK !
The update includes numerous bug fixes and new features, including a new ‘Create Sub-Archetype’ feature added to Unreal Content Browse, the ability to use the ‘Screen Capture’ option in Unreal Console to take a screenshotMobile and Texture paint workflow automation will now allow you to duplicate textures and hook them up to a new material instance with a single button click!
Epic Games, Inc. has released the March 2012 Unreal Development Kit Beta, the latest version of the free edition of Unreal Engine 3 that provides access to the award-winning 3D game engine and professional toolset used in blockbuster video game development, architectural visualization, mobile game development, 3D rendering, digital films and more. The latest UDK beta is available now at www.udk.com/download.
What has changed in this version?
- Actors will show regardless of layer visibility when in G mode
- Before using ‘autoexpandcategories,’ the property window will first check to see if layout info has been saved
- New ‘Create Sub-Archetype’ feature added to Unreal Content Browser. Right-click on Archetype assets to create sub-archetypes
- Sound Actors can now be found inside Content Browser
- Added a ‘WorldPosOffset’ category to the Material Editor's context menu
- Changed the material editor to only update the previews when the viewport’s real-time flag is toggled, or mouse over while the expression’s preview real-time radio box is toggled
- Converting a Constant 1 Vector into a Parameter now behaves correctly
- Added functionality for updating a physical material when assigning a new material interface
- Material instance parameter groups no longer show up when none of the nodes in the group are connected
Post-process editor improvements
- Node color now represents the linked status (green = linked, red = unlinked)
- Ignores node connections of different types (has to be 1 Input and 1 Output), and reorders them accordingly
- Only marks the package as dirty when the effects order has been modified
- Marking an actor's ‘bHidden’ flag will no longer prevent it from being painted on
- Texture paint workflow automation will now allow you to duplicate textures and hook them up to a new material instance with a single button click
- Refreshing the list in Unreal Frontend so it no longer looks just for additional devices, but all devices attached. This prevents devices used previously showing, even though they may no longer be connected
- You can now use the ‘Screen Capture’ option in Unreal Console to take a screenshot
You can grab the update from HERE
We would also like to congratulate Tor Frick on getting into the UDK Showcase with his stunning SCi-Fi lab project, that only used one 256*512 texture! Awesome work, Tor!
Check out the showcase and interview with Tor HERE
What is it?
UDK is Unreal Engine 3 – a complete professional development framework. All the tools you need to create great games, advanced visualizations and detailed 3D simulations on the PC and iOS. The best tools in the industry are in your hands.
Who is it for?
Anyone. Everyone. You. Unreal Engine 3 has been used by game developers, researchers, television studios, machinima directors, artists and students. If you have an idea that needs to be brought to life in a game engine, UDK is for you.
Only UDK has the power, flexibility and track record of Unreal Engine 3. These tools have been proven with countless releases and dozens of awards. There is no better way to make awesome games on the PC and iOS than with UE3.